Every company has it's own workflow and use case in organizing support center and gathering feedback in community, so contact form and feedback form can't be standard for everyone.
Custom fields will bring additional fields to the forms, if you have your own specific use case to gather more information from users when they submit feedback or ask for support.
All object properties and custom additional fields are managed in Administration » Fields & Properties.
Custom/Additional Fields & CRM
Depending on your type of business you can add several additional fields. For example:
- For ecommerce - you can take order number or order date;
- For web development company - it can be product options, product version or package;
Additional fields could be used in Knowledge Base, Topics, Tickets where custom fields can be of different types, like select, radio, input, date, checkbox.
There is option to log extra information in User profiles if you plan to get maximum of your CRM system within UseResponse.
There are cases, when you need to show specific fields internally only to support agents. Just make them private on management page. If field is required to be entered by user on form submission, mark it as required.
If you lack grouping option in topics, knowledge base or tickets, custom field would provide you with such option. To get all objects with specific custom field, go to Reports section in left Agents navigation or click on the option on full object page.
Registration Form Fields
If you want to use additional fields on registration form, while adding new fields to users, make sure to mark this field to be used in registration form.
Specific fields in your contact/feedback form could be filled in with default value.
For example, you need to set default parameter "5.0" in the custom field "Product Version" of your contact form every time user leaves a request in your community. So you would have to build the following URL to create new ticket:
property_63 is the name attribute of input element in the HTML page;
66 is the value attribute of the option element in the select.
To find out name and value attribute of the element, use Inspector tool in your browser.
In comparison to custom fields that define additional requested information on user submission forms, object widgets and properties bring customization to object detailed page.
In order to manage objects properties, you would have to switch on/off specific widgets that are located on object page. This would be useful when you want to show only relevant to your use case information.
Hints in Customization
There are some tricks in order to make your community more unique:
- If you use announcements as blog posts, just remove all widgets on article page, so that article would be centered in the middle. This way, you would get blog like interface;
- If you use assignments in the system, you can switch on - Assigned Agents widget that would show you who participates in the topic discussion and what agent is responsible for it;
- Right from the "Properties" widget you can manage Date field, Responsible, Tags, Category;
- All custom fields are displayed in "Properties" widget, where you can click on any value and get quick report of objects on this value;
- If you want only support agents to see widget - just make it private;
- To make one widget or custom field above another one, just change the order of the field or widget;
- Custom date field has one specifics - it has extra reminder option. If you set reminder in custom field, then it would server as a reminder on ticket or idea, and responsible for this idea would receive notification on set day/time. Especially useful it would be to use as "Due On" in objects.